This Page

has been moved to new address

Mommy Tip #11: Making memorizing Scripture easy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Energizer Bunny's Mommy Reports: Mommy Tip #11: Making memorizing Scripture easy

Jun 1, 2009

Mommy Tip #11: Making memorizing Scripture easy

I remember when I was young, my sister and I had to stay with my grandfather's oldest brother and wife during the holidays.

We loved their home but found it immense torture to bide by my grand-aunt's rule to learn verses from the Bible. She said it was good for us to study the Bible and everyday expected us to learn a Psalm, recite it from memory and then only were we allowed to have lunch. I didn't like this one bit! Today, though, I now understand the wisdom in helping children memorize the Word of God at a young age.

We've been helping Bunny girl memorize small verses from the Bible and I remember her first memory verse was Psalm 54: 4- "God is my Helper". Now that I teach the little ones in church on Wednesdays, I have learnt that it is important to teach them the verse in a way that is memorable and fun. I suggest turning the verse into a little song or a a little cheer.

For instance:

Matthew 4: 19 says "Come follow me" . I still remember the afternoon when we were thinking of the right tune to put to the verse and were trying different tunes, when Elisa piped up and said " Wheels on the bus?" and the words fit perfectly. Truly out of the mouth of babes He has perfected praise! (Matthew 21:16)

"Matthew 4:19 says Come follow me.Come follow me. Come follow me.
Matthew 4: 19 says Come follow me. Come follow me." (Tune: The wheels on the bus go round and round).I have to confess I had to keep reminding myself not to end it with the actual song's words, "Come follow me, all over the town!"

Another example:

John 14:1 says " I will trust in God" . Put this verse to the tune of the Farmers in the Dell.
" I will trust in God. I will trust in God. John 14: 1 says I will trust in God"

A fun game we play in class is passing the ball. The kids stand in a circle and to get the ball thrown to them, they need to say their verse from memory. The kids love this game and its another way to get them to remember.

It's so easy for the little ones to learn this way and it's fun. Just make sure you don't do an overload and try and get your little one to memorize a verse everyday. For the preschoolers we teach them a new verse every month. You can make it twice a month or once a week depending on your little one. You will know what works best for him/her.

P.S. You know what I love best about this little memory verse exercise we have? The fact that I'm learning as well!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home