This Page

has been moved to new address

Nerd

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Energizer Bunny's Mommy Reports: Nerd

Aug 24, 2010

Nerd

*
I'm thrilled to introduce Suzanne Beal as a guest blogger on the Energizer Bunny's Mommy Reports. Suzanne is the
Editor-in-Chief and contributing writer at Little One Books.
What do we have in common?.....A love for books and 4 year olds that love to be read to!
Suzanne's passion for reading can be seen in her written work. May this piece inspire you to grab a book and cuddle up on the couch with your little one. Enjoy!

*

Nerd

One of my earliest memories is learning to read, struggling to make sense of all those letters placed side by side like so many houses tilting this way and that along the street, and the urging of a parent sounding out what they spelled: “ca… caa.. CAT!”

I was an avid reader from an early age and Doctor Seuss’ biggest fan. Seuss’ frolicking creatures with tufts of pink hair clambering among fluffy trees hardly demands literacy to enjoy, but imagine my delight upon hearing the sing-song quality of his words.

Now, with a son of my own I’ve discovered an almost greater pleasure — reading the Doctor’s work aloud. My son, like many four year olds, loves language, but often gives it a twist all his own. “Well, tickly,” he said, “It’s a dollhouse.” I think he meant to say ‘technically.’ Or when I used up the last of the butter on my pancakes, “Mommy, you’re being an ingredient.” He meant to say ‘greedy,’ but I appreciated that in his eyes I really was what I ate.

My son is in good company. Not only did Dr. Seuss pull words never before seen out of his cat’s hat, but he also got them to stick. Seuss is credited with inventing the word “nerd” which appeared for the first time in the 1950’s classic, If I Ran the Zoo. A detail that revealed exposes me as one.

Suzanne Beal,
Editor-in-Chief and contributing writer at Little One Books


Would you like to share some words that you or your little ones have made up?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Marina@EBMR said...

There are a few words that get Bunny girl's tongue in a twist even now. Here are some of them...

Proseffor (Professor)
Filiscal Therapist (Physical Therapist)
Groly (Glory)

Reassures me that my fast growing child is still a baby. :)

 
At August 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Samantha said...

don't feel bad- i still trip over my tongue on a daily basis ;)

sam
kangabunnie@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home